DIRECTOR: Sonja Tarokić
YEAR/DURATION: 2021. • 126’
- SCREENPLAY: Sonja Tarokić
- CINEMATOGRAPHY: Danko Vučinović
- EDITOR: Borna Buljević
- PRODUCTION DESIGN: Tajana Čanić Stanković
- COSTUME DESIGN: Katarina Pilić
- SOUND: Borna Buljević
- MAKE UP: Sanja Hrstić Kuterovac
- VISUAL EFFECTS: Andrija Mihailović, Zoran Mihailović
- SPECIAL EFFECTS: Branko Repalust
- LEAD ACTRESS: Marina Redžepović
- LEAD ACTOR: Stojan Matavulj
- SUPPORTING ACTRESSES: Nives Ivanković, Maja Posavec, Ivana Bakarić, Sandra Lončarić, Tamara Šoletić
- SUPPORTING ACTORS: Andrej Dojkić, Vladimir Gojun, Igor Kovač, Raul Brzić
- PRODUCER: Ankica Jurić Tilić
- COMPANY: Kinorama
- COPRODUCERS: Janja Kralj
- COPRODUCED BY : KinoElektron (Francuska)
- DISTRIBUTION: Duplicato Media d.o.o.
- SALES AGENT: New Europe Film Sales
- INTERNATIONAL FESTIVALS AND AWARDS: Karlovy Vary International Film Festival 2021, Karlovy Vary, Czekhia – Jury Special Mention, Ecumenical Jury Commendation. Mostra de València – Cinema del Mediterrani 2021. Cottbus Festival of East European Cinema 2021, Germany. Belgrade International Film Festival FESt 2022, Serbia – Best Debut award in the main com-petition programme.
Newly arrived school counsellor Anamarija struggles between fitting in or doing the right thing. Confronted with the repetitive restrictions of the school system and surrounded by discouraged teachers, Anamarija will wage her own private war against the problematic history teacher, unaware that by doing so, she is gradually becoming like the rest of her col-leagues in the staffroom.
About the director
Sonja Tarokić (Zagreb, 1988) earned her MA in film directing from the Academy of Dra-matic Art and her BA in comparative literature from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. She is the author of several awarded short films screened at Rotterdam, Sarajevo, Angers, and numerous other festivals. The Staffroom is her debut feature film, developed and awarded at the TorinoFilmLab, and premiered at the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, where it received special mention and commendation.
DIRECTOR’S STATEMENT ON MOTIVATION: I believe that being surrounded by people all the time is one of the most difficult parts of life, especially when conflicts result from hierarchical relationships. In this film, I wanted to explore how people manage in a situation in which they are a part of the problem, and I wanted to find forgiveness in that story. For me, it is a part of a later phase of growing up, a phase in which, as adults, we realise that we are no stronger and no more noble that the people around us.
- Arena – 22.07
- Brijuni – 17.07