THE BLIND MAN WHO DID NOT WANT TO SEE TITANIC
DIRECTOR: Teemu Nikki
YEAR / DURATION: 2021 • 82’
GENRE: drama, romance, comedy
BEST OF EUROPE
- SCREENPLAY: Teemu Nikki
- CINEMATOGRAPHY: Sari Aaltonen
- EDITOR: Jussi Sandhu
- CAST: Petri Poikolainen, Marjaana Maijala, Samuli Jaskio, Hannamaija Nikander, Matti Onnismaa, Rami Rusinen
- PRODUCERS: Teemu Nikki, Jani Pösö
- COMPANY: It’s Alive Films, Wacky Tie Films
- FESTIVALS AND AWARDS: Venice Film Festival – Armani Beauty Audience Award, Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival – Best Actor, El Gouna Film Festival – Best actor, Golden Star Award for Best Film, SXSW Film Festival
Jaakko suffers from MS, which caused him to go blind and paralysed from the waist down. His life is monotonous and he is tied to his wheelchair, medicines, and visits from his nurse. The only joy in his life are the conversations with Sirpa, who is also visually impaired and severely ill, and whom he has never met face to face. Jaakko decides to go meet her and embarks on a truly challenging adventure to visit her. However, he will not be able to do it on his own, but will have to rely on the people around him, who do not always have good intentions.
About the director
Teemu Nikki (Sysmä, 1975), self-educated director, screenwriter, producer, and editor of numerous commercials and music videos, as well as short films, series and documentary films. He has won a number of awards and acknowledgments. His film Euthaniser (2017) was a big festival hit and a candidate for the Academy Awards in 2019. Nikki is one of the members of the Finnish Weird Wave, with a distinct propensity for dark humour. His film 3Simoa (2012) was his directorial debut.
- Valli Cinema – 21.07.2022